Built in 1764 before the start of the American Revolution, Whitehall was home to Horatio Sharpe, the last Provincial Governor of Maryland. The house stands as the finest example of Palladian architecture in the country and was the first National Historic Landmark to be designated in the state of Maryland.
Whitehall remains remarkably preserved with over 100 acres of gardens, fields and park lands. The house is set on a mile and a half of Chesapeake Bay shoreline and is one of the last significant open waterfront spaces in Annapolis.
Whitehall is owned and operated by a non-profit foundation whose mission is to preserve the house and grounds. Restoration efforts on the property are ongoing but portions of the house and grounds are open for public tours. All tours are operated by our partner, The Historic Annapolis Foundation. Please visit their website at www.annapolis.org for information and reservations.
View the National Historic Landmark documents at the Maryland State Archives
The construction of Whitehall began in 1764 by its original owner, Horatio Sharpe, a provincial governor of Maryland. Governor Sharpe originally intended to use the home for entertaining. Ultimately, Sharpe didn’t spend much time there; with the Revolutionary War looming, he left Maryland for England, where he died in 1790.
After Sharpe’s departure, Whitehall was owned by the Ridout family for more than a century. The Ridout family cemetery remains on the property.
Purchased in 1946 and lovingly restored to its historical roots by Charles Scarlett, the property is returning to it’s original roots as a place to entertain.
Mr. Scarlett made it his life work to return Whitehall to it's historic roots. Painstakingly researching all aspects of the home and the period. He removed the second story addition and Whitehall stands today as it looked in 1764. Mr. Scarlett passed away in 1997. The family no longer lives at Whitehall, but they want to share the treasure with others and honor his memory with a commitment to preservation.
Designated as a National Historic Landmark in 1962, Whitehall “possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States”
The Brandywine Foundation, which owns and operates Whitehall, is proud to announce that beginning in 2015, Whitehall will be made available, on a limited basis, for weddings and corporate events. Making it once again, the place to entertain.